As I now haunt the west coast of Canada, I constantly think that I have too much water in my life. This would be external water. What I am here to espouse is Internal water! Otherwise known as hydration.
I am still baffled by the amount of people I meet who still don't try for the Doctor (no less!) Recommended dose of 8-10 glasses per day. If a glass is 8oz… that's 2L of water! Yes, you unbelievers!… 2 litres, minimum.
Now I have been lucky enough to grow up in a place where water is abundant. As I listen to the stream outside my window, I do think about how I could possibly get enough water in the desert? Or does the body simply function differently? I often worry about walking around the planet Dune and having to use recycled bodily water for hydration. Have I simply been spoiled on water?
Well, those thoughts aside, water has helped me with:
- PMS: water retention and bloating is caused by the body actually having too little water and having to store it.
- Dry skin and lips, dry scalp
- Sports, the muscles react better, faster and with less fatigue than if I have been lax in my water drinkage.
- Constipation: a dehydrated colon is a common cause of bowel issues. (magnesium helps the colon absorb the water)
- Tiredness: the body is made up of so much water, fluids is how almost every system in our body communicates (lymph, blood, digestive juices, intracellular fluid)
- Headaches (mild-moderate): some say that the glass of water you take with your 'Advil' is actually what cures the headache.
- Toxicity: soreness, tiredness, brain fog, joint problems, edema. Water can dilute and flush toxins out of the body.
- Thirst (haha)
Some books claim that dehydration is the cause of almost every major disease out there. It's an extreme theory, but it doesn't hurt to try drinking water first, as it is the easiest and cheapest thing you can do for yourself (at least in my part of the world…) Watch your electrolyte balance if you Only drink water (especially if you are sweating) and try to include some juices, herbal teas or (as all the hot yoga places say) Emergen-C. Gatorade if you are desparate and in a sea of convenience stores instead of health food stores.
-what you are looking for is H20 with glucose, potassium, sodium and magnesium. (limes or Apple Cider Vinegar, sea salt, molasses/raw sugar/maple syrup)
I will endeaver to find a tasty homemade substitute as I can't find my notes right now!
Just remember, when in doubt, drink water!